Position Purpose and Objectives:
The Dispatcher is responsible for radio dispatch functions, client scheduling, and associated record-keeping duties. The dispatcher will seek areas for scheduling improvement and drive efficiencies in cooperation with the dispatch team. The dispatcher will handle all incoming radio and telephone communication including advising vehicle operators and handling client inquiries including scheduling trips.
Essential Job Functions:
- Operates base radio console equipment, transmitting and receiving routine and emergency messages from bus operators.
- Enforces professional radio conduct as outlined by BCRTA policies and procedures.
- Takes customer calls for information on transit services and schedules requested trips.
- Stays familiarized with pricing of trips and area covered by BCRTA services.
- Prepares daily bus operator manifests, manages communication of changes, additions, cancellation during service.
- Advises vehicle operators on standard operating procedures during emergencies and under unforeseen circumstances.
- Operates data terminals for input and management of information pertaining to daily public transit operations and general services in a quick and efficient manner.
- Maintains accurate, statistical operating data.
- Understands the importance of contracts and subcontracting out trips to other providers.
- Reports driver call-offs and other operator issues to the Operations Manager.
- Manages daily route schedules for maximum efficiency, adjusts as necessary.
- Prioritizes incoming communications and responses to provide superior customer service.
- Maintains composure and acts thoughtfully under pressure.
- Promotes a positive public image of BCRTA and exceeds customer expectations.
This description should not be construed to contain every function/responsibility that may be required to be performed by an employee in this job. Employees are required to perform other related functions as assigned.
Physical & Visual Activities:
Constant period of hearing, near and far acuity, depth perception, color vision.
Frequent periods of speaking and sitting.
Occasional periods of standing, squatting, walking, kneeling, reaching and twisting.
Occasional exposure to exhaust fumes.
Usual office environment.
JOB QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Skills and Abilities:
Ability to negotiate, train and persuade.
Ability to read and interpret documents and instruments.
Ability to analyze problems and recommend corrective courses of action.
Ability to multitask in a quick-paced environment without forgetting details
Well developed oral and written communication ability.
Demonstrates excellent command of the English language.
Work under frequent periods of stress.
Performs as effective team player.
Ability to perform simple math
Familiarity with Microsoft Office Applications
Experience: One year experience as a public transit vehicle operator or equivalent
Education: High School diploma required.
LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS: Valid Ohio driver's license
- Paid Time Off
- 14% Public Employee Retirement System Match
- Flexible Scheduling