Butler County Regional Transit Authority is looking for a staff accountant to join our team in our Hamilton, Ohio office.
Under the supervision of the Director of Finance & Administration, the Staff Accountant processes all financial, accounting, data tracking and reporting functions of the organization. The position will process all accounting functions including accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger, monthly financial reporting, and payroll. The position will assist with annual budgets, state and federal audits, management of federal, state, and local grants, and the filing of all required federal, state, and local reports and information requests, including the annual National Transit Database report. The position will maintain an internal agency accounting system which meets the requirements of the Federal Transit Administration (FTA). This is a hands-on accounting position and this person will work with other BCRTA team members directly including finance support staff members and members of other departments on data tracking and other tasks.
The ideal candidate has a degree in accounting of finance, excellent attention to detail, knowledge of regional laws/regulations, and ability to learn quickly.
Essential Job Functions:
- Performs all accounting functions of the organization.
- Manages agency fixed asset records.
- Documents financial transactions by entering account information into BCRTA’s accounting system.
- Processes payables, receivables, and general ledger transactions.
- Assists with bi-weekly payroll processing and serves as primary back-up.
- Coordinates the activities of BCRTA staff members involved with financial and statistical data collection and processing.
- Works with the Director of Finance & Administration to develop and administer agency budget.
- Summarizes current financial status and verifies budget limits are met by collecting information, preparing balance sheet, profit and loss statement, and other reports.
- Reconciles financial discrepancies by collecting and analyzing account information.
- Secures financial information by completing data backups and maintains secure physical organizational records consistent with retention guidelines adopted by the organization.
- Complies with federal, state, and local financial legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, and advising management on needed actions.
- Works with Director of Finance & Administration in maintaining grants upon award, and assisting with all special audits associated with same.
- Supports the Director of Finance & Administration in working with outside agencies i.e., FTA, ODOT and other groups to ensure BCRTA receives all available funding and complies with all reporting requirements.
- Prepares statistical data and develops related reports to address various internal and external informational needs.
- Maintains accounting controls and financial security by following internal controls, and all policies and procedures.
- Maintains organizational confidence and protects operations by keeping financial information confidential.
- Works with the Director of Finance & Administration as requested in preparing special financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends.
- Attends meetings on Director of Finance & Administration’s behalf or performs other duties as requested.
- Participates and attends training seminars to maintain up to date knowledge within the profession.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work independently with complex financial data.
- Ability to read and interpret documents and instruments.
- Strong analytical problem-solving ability.
- Ability to organize, supervise, lead, coordinate and motivate.
- Work with, memorize, and retain detail.
- Well-developed oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work on multiple concurrent projects with frequent interruptions.
- Work under frequent periods of stress.
- Performs as an effective team player.
- Maintain strict confidentiality.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field
- Strong math skills
- Deep knowledge of accounting principles
- Excellent written and verbal communications
- Ability to handle information confidentially
- Familiarity with accounting software preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially MS Excel
- Proven experience meeting regular deadlines
About Butler County RTA
BCRTA is a political subdivision of the State of Ohio organized as a Regional Transit Authority under Ohio code. BCRTA acts as the designated recipient for Federal Transit Funds and provides public transportation services within and around Butler County, Ohio including Hamilton, Middletown, Fairfield, West Chester, Oxford, and Miami University. The BCRTA employs or directs around 120 transit employees and manages and annual budget near $6.5M. BCRTA is governed by a nine-member Board of Trustees.
BCRTA is a public transit agency dedicated to to support Butler County’s quality of life and economic development through public transportation solutions..
Our employees enjoy a work culture that promotes inclusion, diversity, cooperation, problem-solving, teamwork, independence and ingenuity.
BCRTA benefits include generous paid time off, 14% retirement match in the Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (OPERS), advancement, and professional development.